New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

new to the forum but have a problem with a pinin gdi

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 08:24 AM
Default new to the forum but have a problem with a pinin gdi

Hi all im new here but not new to forums, im a member of z22se.co.uk(vauxhall) and a few other vauxhall forums as i have had a few vauxhalls and still have my vectra.

but im here to find some help with my dads mitsubishi shogun pinin 2.0 gdi

it has decided to go into limp home mode so i plugged my diagnostic obd2 reader in and its coming up with p1221 so i googled that and some people are saying the throttle body will need cleaning out so i removed it and really cleaned it out with petrol and refitted it, removed the fault code and it ran ok and revved fine in neutral but when i drove it it was like it was coughing at lower revs but would rev through and be ok at higher revs but then as soon as I stopped at a junction it would start revving up on its own and then jump back into limp mode and wouldnt rev passed 2500 rpm again please help.

thanks in advance for any help cheers dave

Old 05-11-2013, 10:58 AM
Banned

Check the condition of the ignition system. Leads, plugs, etc. Then to a function check for them all and make sure you get a good strong spark for every cylinder. Then I would remove the injectors one by one, place the end in a bottle, and see if there's a weak injector.

Check your base timing too.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:46 AM

Hi thanks for the advise it had a service not long back so the plugs should be good still as they were iridium plugs

everythings pointing to the throttle body, iv read about some magnets that come loose and cause the throttle flap to become stiff to move and doesnt spring back and this is whats happened to mine so i think i will have to strip the trottle body down n look for these magnets

thanks again i will let you know what i find and maybe post some pictures

Old 05-15-2013, 08:52 AM
Default mitsubishi shogun pinin 2.0 gdi fault code p1221 throttle body fault

Hi all thanks for the advise but i have fixed the fault.

the fault code p1221 points to the throttle body but i couldn't find any concrete solutions so I will explain and add some videos and photos to help people in the future

the first step after plugging the obd2 reader in and getting the fault code p1221 is to remove the air intake pipe from the throttle body so you can see the throttle flap. try and move it, it should be springy both ways(trying to return to its original position if it doesn't the fault is quite simple and very cheap to fix(no more than £10, have a look at this video i found.

MAKE SURE YOU MARK THE THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR SO IT GOES BACK IN THE SAME PLACE YOU REMOVED IT FROM.

remove the throttle body and clean it(as it will be very coked up in there)

the video shows what is wrong but doesn't really explain how to fix it. you will see him pull the bar out with the 2 magnets attached then pull 1 of the magnets off. this needs to be cleaned and all the old glue removed so you can stick it back onto the bar i used apoxy resin upto 80 degrees but higher temp the better i would say, when you have glued it back on make sure you press it on firmly so its as close to the bar as possible, leave the bar away from the body for as long as possible I left it 24 hours to be safe to let the glue set, when you reassemble you will know that its fixed by the way it feels as it will be springy

when you have reassembled on the car and piped it back up it should run and drive as good as it did before the fault(if not better) but you may have to clear the fault code and maybe reposition the throttle position sensor but this is a easy job as it could have effected the tick over.

i hope that this is helpful to someone and if anybody needs any other help with this fault just let me know thanks dave

Attached Thumbnails new to the forum but have a problem with a pinin gdi-gdi-throttle-body3.jpg  
Old 05-15-2013, 10:49 AM
Banned

Well done.

Old 10-04-2015, 11:22 AM

great info i have a 3door junior ive got for a project that has the same problem among others rust front and back being the main one
I will give your cure a try and see what happens

Old 01-19-2017, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by 1590gilbert

the fault code p1221 points to the throttle body but i couldn't find any concrete solutions so I will explain and add some videos and photos to help people in the future

the first step after plugging the obd2 reader in and getting the fault code p1221 is to remove the air intake pipe from the throttle body so you can see the throttle flap. try and move it, it should be springy both ways(trying to return to its original position if it doesn't the fault is quite simple and very cheap to fix(no more than £10, have a look at this video i found.

MAKE SURE YOU MARK THE THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR SO IT GOES BACK IN THE SAME PLACE YOU REMOVED IT FROM.

Solution GDI 4G93 engine idle issues - YouTube

the video shows what is wrong but doesn't really explain how to fix it. you will see him pull the bar out with the 2 magnets attached then pull 1 of the magnets off. this needs to be cleaned and all the old glue removed so you can stick it back onto the bar i used apoxy resin upto 80 degrees but higher temp the better i would say, when you have glued it back on make sure you press it on firmly so its as close to the bar as possible, leave the bar away from the body for as long as possible I left it 24 hours to be safe to let the glue set, when you reassemble you will know that its fixed by the way it feels as it will be springy

when you have reassembled on the car and piped it back up it should run and drive as good as it did before the fault(if not better) but you may have to clear the fault code and maybe reposition the throttle position sensor but this is a easy job as it could have effected the tick over.

i hope that this is helpful to someone and if anybody needs any other help with this fault just let me know thanks dave
same trouble dave , i bought my 2.0 pinin 01 plate a year ago and the idle was lumpy a bit but never troubled me , i went away for 3 months and when i came back the battery was flat , i got a jump start and straight away it was revving eratically and after 10 mins went into limp mode , i took it to get plugged in at the local garage and they said it was the tgrotttle body so i sent it off for a refurb but its still the same , stuck in limp mode with throtgle body code coming up , any thoughts mate please , i was thinking to get a auto electrician to check the sensotrs , do you know if for example it was the tps why it always comes up with the same throttle body code ?? any help would be much appreciated i need a car im a self employed builder . cheers Phil

Old 03-22-2021, 02:10 AM
Default J

Good day
I am new to this group. I need some advise on my GDI Pinin 1800. I am from South Africa and nobody seems to be able to assist me?
The engine starts but idle irregular and shuts down at operating temprature. The scan show code 12? Should we replace the airflow sensor? Can I look somewhere else?
I have already replaced the throttle position sensor and another sensor and the CO2 sensor with no luck? I would appreciate it if any one can assist with some advice please.
Kind Regards

Old 02-24-2023, 03:43 PM
Default Magnets have broken

Originally Posted by 1590gilbert

Solution GDI 4G93 engine idle issues - YouTube

Hi there I glued my magnets back in and they lasted for awhile but now they have broken into pieces, is there anywhere I could buy new magnets? Any help would be much appreciated.