Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

EGR fault - code P0487,P0488

Old 09-14-2013, 12:41 AM

hey guys, changed the throttle body on thursday cleared the code and took it for a drive. car drives fine and even a little more responsive but light is still on. after reseting the CEL it remains off until the second cycle of the ignition.
when i was looking for a new part on ebay one seller said that a replacement throttle body would have to be coded to my engine, is this true ? if so how do i do that?
also do i have to run the engine in certain parameters before the ecu will no longer detect the fault if it was the throttle body that was the issue?
i have now changed the EGR valve and throttle body cost to date £250

Old 09-15-2013, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by krismartin001
hey guys, changed the throttle body on thursday cleared the code and took it for a drive. car drives fine and even a little more responsive but light is still on. after reseting the CEL it remains off until the second cycle of the ignition.
when i was looking for a new part on ebay one seller said that a replacement throttle body would have to be coded to my engine, is this true ? if so how do i do that?
also do i have to run the engine in certain parameters before the ecu will no longer detect the fault if it was the throttle body that was the issue?
i have now changed the EGR valve and throttle body cost to date £250
I strongly doudt that any parts specific coding exists. If the spare part item number matches the old one it will work. His trying to pull a fast one on you. They told me that the error codes could only be deleted by a Mitsubishi decoder. This was also bulls..t. Once I found the burnt fuse I deleted the error codes with my Bluetooth OBDII tester and mobile phone app.

And by the way. There might not be anything wrong with the old EGR valve. Test the vacuum and if it works you can get some money back when you sell it on Ebay.

Last edited by Cashman; 09-15-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:50 PM

I removed the EGR and Throttlebody to find they were both full of black sludge, ive cleaned both and reassembled then reset the mil light. First 2 starts of the car were fine, then on the 3rd the light came back on , and this continues to be the case . Actual running of the car seems fine no drop in performance or increased fuel consupmtion etc - very occassionally on start up it revs a little higher than normal for the first 30 seconds or so . I guess until it actually starts doing anything else Im not inclined to start spending £250 on parts that may not make any difference - ? Maybe I can find somebody locally in Warwickshire with a working car and test swop the parts !!

Old 10-13-2015, 04:10 PM

I know you posted this a couple of years ago but I just wanted to thank Cashman for sharing the information about replacing a fuse. I had an issue with my EGR throttle body and had to replace it but no matter what I tried I couldn't get the engine management light off. I stumbled across this thread and did what Cashman said. I checked the fuses in the engine compartment and low and behold - a dead 10A fuse! It was in bay 3 of the engine fuse box. I replaced the fuse, cleared the code and it has stayed off since. Thanks a million!!!

Old 10-14-2015, 01:25 AM

Happy I could help.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:50 AM
Default Fuse was replaced but still not solved

Originally Posted by Cashman
Happy I could help.
Hi, I found the blown fuse on my Grandis Di-D and replaced it. However, it has blown again. The engine management light is still on. It would be helpful to understand what the fuse is actually protecting. Any clues? Replacing the EGR valve alone seems to be an unlikely solution. I suspect replacing the TPS (underneath?) may do the trick but I'd appreciate some guidance before I chase down a blind ally. Any clues/suggestions?

Last edited by Febetiki; 03-28-2016 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Correct typos & clarification
Old 07-29-2016, 01:16 PM
Default Hello evybody.. i did also had the error P0488

I had the error p0488
Problem was shortcut in the "boitier papillon" whithout loosing power.
The same as you guys ;( i did replace it and put it on the computer again. I did reset the error but it came back again.
I did try to check all the fuses but they where all good... so i decide to visit a mitsubishi garage this morning.
I was suprise they did fing somewhere in the engine side a burned fuse... pretty sure that they where all good but maube there is other fuses in another place... they also did an upgrate ... i did drive for around 150km an it sounds good....

Old 02-24-2017, 02:04 AM

Hi I have a mitibushi grandis DDI VW ENGINE the E M L kept coming up with fault code was p0487 every time I tried to clear it still kept comeing & saying emission & gases then I noticed the motor on the the throttle was making a whining noise Longer than it should. I then call the RAC out he pointed out the problem is the Motor on the throttle he said the gogs on the motor are seized . I then replaced a second hand motor from the Vw breakers because my engine is Vw 2.0 diesel. The motor was out of a 2008 it Sharon as soon I put the motor in the Engine management light went off automatically never came back on

Old 04-15-2020, 07:18 PM
Default Hi Guys cashman

Originally Posted by Cashman
Happy I could help.
I have been told I have egr valve problem on outlander 2013/2014 model diesel. Engine has no power.
mechanics have forced auto cleaning of filter, this worked for only short time. 2nd mechanic suggested removal and clean but discovered the whole engine wud have to be removed fist......labour thousands.
Do you have any other cleaning options for this model
Waiting patiently thanks in advancePorsche

Old 04-16-2020, 08:00 AM

Its a long time since i looked at this problem.....but have you cleaned out the throttle body where the EGR valve lets exhaust gases back in? If that valve is somehow stuck in the open position thereby letting too much exhaust gas back into the inlet manifold, you will loose power. From what i remember, its easy to remove and clean with a solvent and should only take an hour or so.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EGR fault - code P0487,P0488