Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

P0441 code

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 12:06 AM
Default P0441 code

Hi guys. I am hoping someone can provide me with some issues with the outie.

I got a check engine light today and promptly hooked up my obd II scan tool. The trouble code is:

P0441----evaporative emission control system incorrect purge flow.

Now, I believe it's one of the solenoids. I would really be gratefull if anyone can provide a more detailed method of troubleshooting to isolate which part is defective.

Gas cap is on tight and I believe the cap is still good.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:26 AM
tcp
Default fuel fill

Did you recently fill the fuel tank? Did you "top it off" after the pump shut off the first time? Many late model cars have a carbon canister that absorbs fuel vapors and gets purged on startup or at regular intervals. The problem with these is that if you overfill the tank, actual liquid fuel gets into the canister and kicks this code. The only fix I know of is replacement of the canister. It's rarely a solenoid. Sorry.

Originally Posted by alim
Hi guys. I am hoping someone can provide me with some issues with the outie.

I got a check engine light today and promptly hooked up my obd II scan tool. The trouble code is:

P0441----evaporative emission control system incorrect purge flow.

Now, I believe it's one of the solenoids. I would really be gratefull if anyone can provide a more detailed method of troubleshooting to isolate which part is defective.

Gas cap is on tight and I believe the cap is still good.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:46 PM

That happened to my 04 Nissan Titan. $239.00 lesson learned!
Check6

Old 09-08-2010, 02:56 PM

Well, I've been carefull not to top off. Once the pump clicks, I'm done. 2 extra pulls at the pump at the most and have never overfilled.......at least I hope I didn't accidentally.

Gosh.....I'll have to have the dealer take a look it seems. Unless anyone can recommend a good independent Mitsu mechanic here in the South Bay in Southern Ca.

Last edited by alim; 09-08-2010 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:07 PM

Came from the dealer. It was a defective solenoid. Best part is they're covering it under warranty so the fix is free. I just need to bring it back after the part arrives. I'll ask which solenoid is broken.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:33 PM
tcp
Default warranty...=good

Very good.

Originally Posted by alim
Came from the dealer. It was a defective solenoid. Best part is they're covering it under warranty so the fix is free. I just need to bring it back after the part arrives. I'll ask which solenoid is broken.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:08 AM

Solenoid(S) were replaced. Had to make 3 trips to the dealer. They replaced the one located in the engine compartment and cleared codes. Check engine light came back the next day.

Returned it and they said they just had to manually clear the code. CEL came back after 5 days. This time I was adamant they fix the issue. I got this BS from the the service manager about having as many as 6 different parts in the system that could be defective and the ecu couldn't tell so each one had to be checked.

Of course, I already read the service manual and new for a fact there were only 2 solenoids and told him this. I also told them they should have gone through all the possible involved parts if there was more than one since this is the SOP in the service manual.

Guess what? After an hour they released the vehicle with a new solenoid on the rear--the one I was alluding to the whole time. No CEL so far. At least I've got 2 new free solenoids.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:31 PM
Unhappy rear solenoid

Hi there, I am having the same problem with my Outlander. I get code P0441. I have replaced the front solenoid that is in the engine bay mounted to the intake manifold but the the CEL came back on. I have checked the service manual I fond online and I can not find any mention of a rear solenoid. Can you give me a clue about where to look?

I have a 2005 Model.

Thanks in advance for your help

Old 11-20-2013, 12:54 PM

Hi, I don't know if I can be of help to you because I have an 07. A completely different car and a V6 at that......The solenoid that had actually been defective was located in front of the gas tank if I recall correctly.

Since yours is an 05 I don't know if your model has another solenoid in that area. Best I can recommend is to download the repair manual for your model and look up that code. That's what I did with my 07 and that's how I found out about the rear solenoid.

Good Luck.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:16 AM

Thanks for your suggestion. You are right that our cars are different but using your description, I found the rear solenoid and it checked out OK. It is called the vent solenoid and it is almost under the rear bumper attached to the vent box. It turns out the hoses on the front solenoid were reversed so I swapped them and that seems to have fixed the P0441 code. It then threw a P0456 code which turned out to be a pinhole leak in the metal vacuum tubing running under the car. I replaced that and it is fine now.

Quick Reply: P0441 code